To provide strategic leadership in supporting the Government of Papua New Guinea in the coordination and monitoring of government policy decisions for the benefit of the people.
To provide coherent, high quality and timely advice and support to the Prime Minister, the National Executive Council and the Chief Secretary to Government in:
- Ensuring that the development goals as set out in Vision 2050 and the National strategic plans such as DSP 2010-2030 and MTDP 2011-2015 targets are achieved;
- Providing effective leadership and management of the domestic and foreign affairs of PNG.
The Department of Prime Minister & NEC derive its mandate from the Prime Minister & NEC Act 2002 and Section 20 (a) of the Public Service (Management) Act 1995.
Our Core Functions:
The core functions of the Department of Prime Minister and National Executive Council are to:
- Provide leadership and guidance in coordinating and overseeing the implementation of the Government’s National Strategic Plans, particularly, Vision 2050, DSP 2010-2030, the Medium Term Development Plans; and the National Strategy for Responsible Sustainable Development (StaRS);
- Provide policy and management advice to the Prime Minister as head of government;
- Coordinate policy advice via the Central Agency Coordinating Committee (CACC) to the Prime Minister and National Executive Council (NEC);
- Coordinate whole of government policy development, implementation, monitoring and reporting;
- Lead the public sector in performance and accountability, including performance management, monitoring and reporting, and public sector reform; and
- Provide support services to the Governor-General, Prime Minister and NEC, in the conduct of their official duties.
Our valued clients are:
- Prime Minister as the Head of Executive Government;
- National Executive Council;
- Governor General of PNG; and
- All CACC members.