- Provide assessment, advice and support to the NSAC, Prime Minister and Cabinet on matters including major security issues affecting the sovereignty, integrity and security of Papua New Guinea and its people;
- Provide guidance and direction to the agencies of Government responsible for:
- Matters affecting the maintenance of good order in PNG;
- Combating subversion and espionage; and
- Providing defence against military attack or armed incursion into Papua New Guinea's sovereign territory or the use of military pressures against Papua New Guinea or activities designed to undermine the security of Papua New Guinea and its people.
- Coordinate assessment, review and direction of matters related to:
- Medium and long term security plans;
- Security and intelligence programs and projects including the financing and implementation of such programs and projects;
- Monitoring, evaluation, and reporting on the implementation of the Government's policies, programs and projects on security at agency level;
- Policy and action on security, defence and intelligence tasks and activities as determined by the NSAC; and
- Management of crisis situations created by security threats.
To provide coherent, high quality and timely advice to the Chief Secretary to Government, the Prime Minister and NEC for the effective management of issues of national security, defence and international relations.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Produce Quarterly Reports to Chief Secretary on important national security issues;
- Produce Quarterly Reports to NSAC on inter agency meetings and of national security issues;
- Produce Quarterly Reports to the NSC on NSAC meetings and on national security issues;
- Provide Bi-Annual Progress Reports to the Chief Secretary, NSAC, NSC and NEC of outcome of work program relative to the implementation of:
- Technical Working Group/ Sectorial Implementation Committees (for Aviation, Maritime, Land & Virtual border security;
- Integration of sub regional, regional and international security frameworks; and
- Other program activities implemented by special NSAC sub-committees and other technical meetings.
- Provide Quarterly Security Assessment Reports on national, regional and international security issues affecting PNG's national security interests to NSAC, and NSC (NEC);
- Provide Annual Progress Report to the Chief Secretary, NSAC and NSC (NEC);
- Recruit 17 Officers by March 2017;
- Provide four- monthly briefs to the Chief Secretary on progress of implementing work plan activities;
- Double the production of quantity and quality of work output relative to increases in staffing
- Produce a Human Resource Management Plan for OSCA Officers;
- Produce a draft concept paper for NSAC to redefine the current and future roles, duties and functions of existing national security management apparatus, and strategic reconfiguration of NSAC, NSC and NEC national security management oversight duties;
- Provide a draft concept paper on the proposed concept of management oversight strategy for Chief Secretary's consideration and further directions;
- Prepare a policy submission on a concept paper for NSAC endorsement and NSC, NEC approval;
- Institutionalize a structured national security management oversight strategy and operational Framework by 2017;
- Hold monthly NSAC meetings, and table reports of meetings;
- Hold four quarterly NSC meetings, and table reports of meetings
- Produce four quarterly briefs and reports to Chief Secretary and NSAC;
- Create a data base for the analysis of strategic security Issues;
- Enhance the NSAC Secretariat's (OSCA) ability to competently provide regular reports and advice, and service the NSAC and NSC;
- Implement and coordinate pre-election assessments to minimise use of illegal firearms in the National Election;
- Implement the National Guns Control Strategy through a nationwide moratorium to surrender illegal firearms;
- Ensure the National Election Committee on the 2017 National Election delivers a safe and fair election; and
Identify high risk provinces for the immediate minimising of risk level.