To provide strategic leadership and prudent management capabilities in supporting the Government-of-the-day in public policy coordination and public policy monitoring, public policy evaluation and public policy oversight for the people of Papua New Guinea.
To provide coherent, high quality and timely advice and support to the Prime Minister, the National Executive Council and the Chief Secretary to Government in:
1. Ensuring that the development goals as set out in Vision 2050 and the National Strategic Plans such as DSP 2010-2030 and MTDP III 2018- 2022 targets are achieved; and
2. Providing strong leadership and prudent management of the domestic and foreign affairs of PNG.
In compliance to the National Constitution, the Department of Prime Minister & NEC is established by the Prime Minister and National Executive Council Act, 2002. The functions of the Department are clearly stipulated in Section 18 of the ‘Act’ (refer to Appendix 1).
OUR CORE FUNCTIONS
The core functions of the Department of Prime Minister and National Executive Council are to:
1. Provide strategic leadership & proactive but prudent management in public policy coordination and overseeing the implementation of the Government’s National Strategic
Plans, Vision 2050, DSP 2010-2030, the MTDP III, and the National Strategy for Responsible Sustainable Development (StaRS);
2. Provide policy and management advice to the Prime Minister as Head of Government;
3. Coordinate policy advice via the Central Agency Coordinating Committee (CACC) to the Prime Minister and National Executive Council (NEC);
4. Coordinate whole of government policy development, implementation, monitoring and reporting;
5. Lead the public sector in performance and accountability, including performance management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, and public sector reform; and
6. Provide corporate services to the Governor-General, Prime Minister and NEC, in the conduct of their official duties.
Our valued clients are:
m Prime Minister as the Head of the Executive Government;
m National Executive Council;
m Governor General of PNG; and
m All CACC members.