To provide coherent, high quality and timely policy advice to the Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister & NEC and the Prime Minister for the effective management of issues of national security, Defence & international relations.
- Provide assessment, advice and support to the NSAC, Prime Minister and Cabinet on matters including major security issues affecting the sovereignty, integrity and security of Papua New Guinea and its people;
- Provide guidance and direction to the agencies of Government responsible for:
- Matter affecting the maintenance of good order in PNG;
- Combating subversion and espionage; and
- Providing defense against military attack or armed incursion into Papua New Guinea’s sovereign territory or the use of military pressure against Papua New Guinea or activities designed to undermine the security of Papua New Guinea and its people.
- Coordinate assessment, review and direction of matters related
- Medium and long term security plans;
- Security and intelligence programs and projects including the financing and implementation of such programs and projects;
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of the Government’s policies, programs and projects on security at agency level;
- Policy and action on security, defence and intelligence tasks and activities as determined by the NSAC; and
- Management of crisis situations created by security threat.
National Security Coordination Branch
To assist and advise DG OSCA/NSAC/NSC/Sanctions Secretariat in all matters relating to strategic coordination of internal and external security matters.
National Security Assessment Branch
To assist and advise DG OSCA/NSAC/NSC/Sanctions Secretariat in all matters relating to strategic assessment of internal and external security matters.
NSAC/NSC/Sanctions Secretariat Services Branch
To assist and advise DG OSCA/NSAC/NSC/Sanctions Secretariat in all matters relating to secretariat services provided to the NSAC and NSC to obtain strategic decisions.