GRAND CHIEF SIR MICHAEL THOMAS SOMARE CGL, GCMG, CH, CF, SSI. KStJ, KSG
1st Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea
Date of Birth : 9 April 1936
Place of Birth : Rabaul, East New Britain Province
Occupation : Former Member of Parliament; represented the people of East Sepik Province.
Founder of the National Alliance Party(NA)
- Sir Michael was raised in Karau village in the Murik Lakes District of East Sepik Province.
- His earliest education was in a Japanese-run primary school at Karau during World War II where he learned to read, write and count in Japanese.
- Sir Michael graduated from Sogeri High School with a Leaving Certificate in 1957. This was a teaching qualification at the time, and he then taught at several primary and secondary schools.
- Sir Michael became a radio broadcaster based in Wewak in East Sepik Province after transferring within the Public Service.
- 1968 : He left the Public Service to contest the elections for the second House of Assembly as a member of the Pangu Party which he had founded with others in 1967.
- 1975 : Sir Michael was Chief Minister, becoming Prime Minister when self-government was granted and was a key figure in the preparations for subsequent independence and the preparation and adoption of the Constitution.
- 1982-1985 : He was again Prime Minister and won the office a third time in 2002.
Grand Chief Sir Michael Thomas Somare – In Office as the Prime Minister of Papua New Guinea:
- 1975 – 1980
- 1982 – 1985
- 2002 - 2012