The Prime Minister & National Executive Council was established by an Act of Parliament, the Department of Prime Miniter & National Executive Concil Act 2002.
Functions of the Department of Prime Minister and National Executive Council
1. Provide appropriate advice and information to the Prime Minister on Government operations.
2. Co-ordinate National Executive Council affairs
3. Direct the operations of the National Security Organisation.
4. Administer the Government Flying Unit.
5. Provide administrative services for the Governor -General.
6. Provide services to the Secretary of the National Executive Council, the office of Legislative Counsel, the National Intelligence Organization and the Central Agencies Co-ordination Committee.
7. Provide administrative services to Ministers.
8. Provide and maintain security of Government Buildings.
9. Provide Parliamentary liaison.
10. Provide services to standing and ad hoc organization relating to the functions of the Department.
11. Primarily responsible for managing all policies relating to the operation of the Government.
12. Act as focal point for consultation with the private sector
13. Administer all appropriate legislation pertaining to information.
15. Control the percentage of imported overseas material for broadcast by the electronic media.
16. Liaise with statutory authorities responsible for information and with media organizations and agencies.